So, you want to start a blog in 2018 and want to make money out of it huh?
But…. how will you start?
There’s so much info out there on the internet, and everybody’s telling you to do different things.
Whom will you listen to? Where’s the starting point?
Damn it, just forget all these things – it’s confusing!
I had the same issues when I used to be a blogging newbie like you.
I did not know anything when I started blogging in Jan 2018.
Now I know a lot about basics blogging and my blog is doing well.
I am not an expert but blogging is my passion now and I love doing it.
It’s not my work but it makes me happy always.
With every passing day, I am swimming in the sea of blogging and I keep sharing my learnings and experiences here at Tichkulelearning.
Having a blog is a great thing because you can share anything you want and can make money also.
In this article, you will find a step-by-step guide to starting your own blog to make money online.
I promise it’ll be simple, relatively easy, and definitely easy to understand.
Let’s move on.
What Is A Blog?
Earlier, people used to write their personal diary and when the internet and website were born, they started writing blogs.
A blog is a platform where you share your experiences, knowledge and any information that you find important according to your interest.
A blog (a truncation of the expression “weblog”) is a discussion or informational website published on the World Wide Web consisting of discrete, often informal diary-style text entries (“posts”). Posts are typically displayed in reverse chronological order, so that the most recent post appears first, at the top of the web page.
Why Should You Start A Blog And Become A Blogger In 2018?
Blogging can be valuable to you for a variety of reasons.
I’ve benefited financially, personally and professionally from blogging.
Here are the solid reasons why I think YOU should start blogging today in 2018.
Note: If you already have a solid reason to start a blog, then skip this and go right ahead with the guide.
- Blogging helps you to connect billions of people that use the internet to promote yourself or your business.
- It is a great way to share information with others and express yourself.
- You can tell your story to your audience the way you want without being dependent on media.
- If you have a blog and a great audience, you can monetize it to earn money.
- You can make friends, business partners through your blog. They are not just your audience.
- Blogging can generate a huge traffic and convert traffic into leads and leads into customers or business partners.
- You can become a better writer through blogging.
- Because writing is like a communication and it requires critical thinking, you will be a good thinker.
- Blogging not just changes your life, it additionally changes the life of your reader.
- Blogging is an awesome way to establish yourself as an expert in your field.
One last thing that I would suggest to you before we get started
Starting your own blog can take upto little longer, So grab yourself a juice, cold drink or whatever you like and let’s get started.
How To Start A Blog That Generates Money In 2018
There are many skills that a blogger needs to build a great blog and if you have a blog or creating a new one then you are far ahead than a crowd.
Just follow the 8 steps given below to become a next good blogger.
- Find your area of interest
- Register a domain name for your blog
- Register a hosting plan for your blog
- Get started with WordPress
- Choose a theme for your blog
- Writing your first post
- Drive traffic to your website
- Choose from the available option to monetize your blog
So, without any delay, let’s start your blog!
1. Find Your Area Of Interest
In my experience, most of the people fail to choose a topic to start a blog with.
I can help you when it comes to selecting a topic for your blog.
The very first thing you need to do is to find out your area of interest. I mean choose a topic that you like the most.
It will not work in 2018 if you are thinking that you can blog about everything.
Most of the people make this silly mistake and fails by mixing up all the topic in one blog.
Let me tell you one thing that Google prefer a website dedicated to a particular topic and ranks higher.
If you stick to a particular topic then your chances of becoming a successful blogger are 100%.
For example, if you like to write about marketing, write only about marketing.
If you like to write about music, stick to music only.
If you have an interest in video editing, don’t hesitate to Vlog (video blog).
Here is the list of different topics you can choose for your blog:
- Global warming
- Jokes and Humor
- Personal Stories
- Beginner’s guides to anything!
- Overcoming adversity or illness
- Life Experiences
- Products or service reviews
- Travel Experiences
- Digital marketing
Maybe you can choose other topics also.
It does not matter if you are not getting bored and eager to learn more.
However, if you are facing difficulties choosing a topic for your blog then ask these questions and make a list of answers.
- What are your hobbies?
- How do you spend your free time?
- Which topic do you know more than anyone else?
- What are your favourite topics you always talk about with your friends?
- What things do you like and enjoy doing the most?
2. Register A Domain Name For Your Blog
So once you have chosen the topic for your blog, the very next thing you have to do is to register a domain name.
A domain name is the name of your website or you can say the online identity or online address of your website or blog.
For example google, facebook, Microsoft, Amazon and many others are the names of the domain.
A website has 3 parts:
- www:- world wide web
- Tichkulelearning:- the domain name
- .com:- the extension
For example extensions can be .com, .org, .net and many others.
Most of the people prefer a .com domain extension, but you can choose .net or .org as well if .com is not available.
Tips to register a domain name
- Your domain name should be unique.
- It should be easy to pronounce.
- It should be easy to remember.
- Your domain name should be easy to type.
- Keep your domain name short.
- Use keywords in your domain.
- Avoid numbers and hyphens in your domain name
- Select a brandable name.
- Use domain name generators
- Do not purchase hosting from the same domain registrar. Know the reasons below:
- Best domain registrar usually has the low-quality host service.
- Easy to change hosting provider if they are separate.
When it comes to purchasing a domain name, I strongly recommend Godaddy because GoDaddy is one of the most well-known and trusted domain name registrars, which I use.
Steps to purchase a domain name from Godaddy
Go to Godaddy website and click on Sign In option.
Click on Create My Account.
Fill out your information and click on Create Account.
Enter your domain name and click on Search Domain.
If your domain is available then click on Continue to Cart. If not then you can choose from the available option.
Click on Continue with these options
Then fill out your payment information and complete the purchase.
Now you have registered your domain name with Godaddy.
3. Register A Hosting Plan For Your Blog
You have registered your domain for your blog.
Now a question arises – where you will save your data online?
Your blog will include images, videos, text and many other things.
Where will you store all these information?
Here all you need is a hosting.
A hosting is nothing but space for your website. It helps you to store your data online.
Because your blog data is very crucial so you need to select the hosting provider very carefully.
I will personally recommend you Hostgator because the Hostgator is one of the trusted websites that I use for hosting.
There are basically two types of hosting server depending on your needs.
- Linux Hosting allows to run scripts written in Unix-originated languages, Perl, PHP and Python. It usually supports MySQL and PostgreSQL databases. It is used commonly now a days. Linux files are case-sensitive. For example, Home.html and home.html are different names. If your website requires specific Windows applications, go for the Linux hosting.
- Windows Hosting allows running ASP scripts utilizing other Microsoft technologies and .NET and supports Microsoft access database and SQL Server. Windows files are not case-sensitive. For example, home.html, Home.html, and HOME.HTML are the same name.
Linux is more secure and more efficient than Windows.
There are different types of web hosting plan for your website such as
- Shared Hosting: You share the physical server with other websites owners and you will have your own separate account. If you do not have a high budget you can choose shared hosting because the cost is shared between you and the other website owners.
- Virtual Private Server Hosting: Every website is stored on a very powerful server that is divided into several virtual compartments in VPS hosting. The server software is configured separately so that each unit can function independently. If you have high-security concerns you can choose this.
- Dedicated Hosting: You will get an entire server for yourself. Dedicated hosting is good for high-traffic websites because it allows for maximum flexibility, configuration, customization and installation.
- Cloud Hosting: It allows multiple virtual servers to work together to host a website or a group. It is the best option for news or e-commerce website because it can shrink or expand dynamically, depending on how much traffic you get.
Follow the below given steps to buy a hosting plan for your website.
Step#1 Select Hosting Plan
Click on Hostgator.in and you will get the following hosting plan.
- Hatchling Plan- Hatching plan will be good for you if you create a single blog or website.
- Baby Plan- You can choose a baby plan if you want to create multiple blogs.
- Business Plan- If you want to create a business website then the Business plan will the best option for you.
All these plans are for the different purpose so choose accordingly.
Step#2 Enter your domain name
Now Hostgator will ask you that if you have a domain name or not.
Since you have already purchased a domain name so enter your domain name and click on Continue.
Please remove all the Unnecessary items that have been added automatically, otherwise, you will be charged for those, then click on Continue.
Step#3 Create your account
If you already have a Hostgator Account then Login with your ID and Password.
If you do not have an account then do not worry, create a new one.
Fill your Full Name, Address, Country, State, City, Postal code, Phone NO and GST ID in the Contact Information form.
NOTE: You need to fill the GST ID if you choose a Business Plan.
Then you need to fill your Email ID and Password in the User Information.
After filling all these details, click on Create an account option and your account will be created on Hostgator.
Step#4 Fill the payment information
There are different payment methods on Hostgator i.e. Paytm, PayPal, Netbanking, Debit or Credit cards, Cheque, Demand Draft and Bank Account.
Most of the people prefer Debit/Credit Cards.
You need to enter your Card Number, Account holder name, CVV Number(given on the back of the card), Expiry date of the card.
After filling the payment information, click on Pay Now option. You will get a security code on your registered mobile number.
Enter the code on the payment page and click on Continue.
You have purchased the hosting for your blog.
Wait! You have not finished yet.
There is one more thing that you need to do and that is to change your DNS address.
Hostgator has sent you an email in which you will find the details about New Account information, Login Details, Server information etc.
To change the Name Servers of your domain follow the steps.
- Open your Domain Control Panel via http://manage.hostgator.in/customer.
- Login with your registered email address and password.
- Click on your Domain Name.
- Click on the Name Servers option in the Domain Registration section.
- Remove the existing Name servers and fill out the Nameservers that you have received in your email.
- click on the Update Name Servers.
Now your Nameserver has been updated.
NOTE: It can take up to 24-48 hours for your website to start on HostGator India’s servers after updating your DNS(Domain Name Server).
4. Get Started With WordPress
Since you have purchased your domain name and hosting plan, the next thing you need to do is to set up your website on WordPress.
Let me tell you the reasons to choose WordPress for your website.
- WordPress is easy to customize
- It is Mobile and SEO optimized
- WordPress is an open source and free to use
- Everyone can use WordPress
- WordPress is secure and use multimedia
82 million people use WordPress worldwide.
See what Matt Cuts says about WordPress:
So now you have understood why to set up your website on WordPress.
Follow the steps to set up your website on WordPress:
Open your C Panel or Control Panel.
Click on Softaculous Apps Installer.
Click on WordPress and then click on Install.
Now your website has been set up on WordPress.
5. Choose A Theme For Your Blog
In WordPress, your blog’s overall beauty depends on the theme you select.
Therefore choosing a right theme is very important for a successful blog.
There are so many themes available on WordPress according to your requirement.
So just follow the steps to install a theme in WordPress:
Login to your WordPress account with your Username and Password. Just put /wp-login after your website.
For eg www.shoutmeloud.com/wp-admin
Select the Appearance.
Click on Themes
Click on Add New option.
You will see multiple themes available.
Select the theme you like and click on Install. Then Click on Activate option and you are done.
6. Writing Your First Post
Now it’s time to write your first blog post.
But what will you write? How will you write?
What should be the title of my first blog?
You do not need to worry about it.
I am here to help you to write your first blog post.
Writing your first post is a little bit difficult.
You can start writing anything about your first blog related to your interest.
The first thing that you need to do is a lot of research on the topic you want to write.
Start reading articles, books, news & everything that is related to your topic.
The more you research the more you will get the information related to your topic.
Then collect all the data and reports and start writing.
Start using data and reports in your article as it will show the research that you have done in your article for your readers.
There is a saying that “A picture is worth of thousand words”.
You can use pictures in your post to make it attractive and beautiful.
You should use 1-2 pictures in your post.
Things to keep in mind while writing your first article:
- Your headline should be catchy.
- Use sub-headings in your article.
- Include appropriate images.
- It must be story-telling.
- Proper use of punctuations.
- Avoid grammatical errors.
- Keep the language simple.
- Proofread your article.
- Your content should be original.
- Use data and reports in your article.
7. Drive Traffic To Your Website
Let me tell you one thing that your earnings depend on the traffic you get to your website.
The more traffic you will get on your website the more you will earn.
Here traffic means the visitors you get on your website.
To get the traffic on your website, we have two ways i.e. Google Adword and SEO.
If you have a high budget, you can run advertisements for your websites through Google Adwords.
If you do not have the budget then do not worry, the best and free way to get traffic on your website is SEO.
SEO is a little longer process to get traffic to your website. So have patience.
Now let’s start SEO.
SEO or Search Engine Optimization is the practice of appearing on your website on the top results of Google.
SEO has two types one is On-page optimization and the second one is Off-page optimization.
On-page optimization is the practice that you do in on your website like keyword research, meta tags, heading tags and so on.
Off-page optimization is all the work that you do on the other websites like directory submission, social bookmarking, press release etc.
Now you have got an overview of what is SEO.
To know more about it, read my article on what is SEO? A step by step official guide for beginners 2018.
8. Choose From The Available Option To Monetize Your Blog
So your blog is ready and traffic is coming to your website.
Now you can start to monetize your blog and earn money from it.
You have many ways to monetize your blog but I will tell you about two most popular ways to monetize your blog i.e. Google Adsense and Affiliate marketing.
Google Adsense is the advertisement service by Google in which you will install the HTML code of advertisement on your website and if someone sees/click the advertisement, you will get some money.
See the video on how to monetize WordPress website with Google Adsense.
In the Affiliate Marketing, you have to put links of any products or services on your website. If someone buys that product or service, you get some commission.
See the video on how to monetize WordPress website with Affiliate marketing.
In this article, we learned how to make money from the blog.
We started with what is a blog and then moved on to domain name and hosting.
Then we learned how to set up a WordPress website, writing your first article.
You came to know about how to get traffic on your blog and monetization with Google Adsense and Affiliate marketing.
So if you like this article, please share it with your friends so that they can also earn money online.
And do let me know how do you monetize your blog and which is the best method.